Re: pg_dump and grants to PUBLIC

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Blair Lowe <postgresql(at)zedemail(dot)ca>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump and grants to PUBLIC
Date: 2006-05-09 19:08:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 10:52:32AM -0600, Blair Lowe wrote:
> In my test I do not see stuff2 either. The problem here is that I have
> sensitive production data, so my tests are hard to read, and not able to
> submit here.

You don't need to show any data, just the schema will be enough. An
example you could show us would be something like below. Replace
'mydatabase' with a database and 'sometable' with a table name you know
is not is 'mydatabase' and so should not be in the dump but you say is
because it's in some other database.

$ psql mydatabase
psql version x.x.x
mydatabase> select oid from pg_class where relname = 'sometable';
oid
-------
(0 rows)
mydatabase> \q
$ pg_dump -s mydatabase | grep 'CREATE.*sometable'
< show us the output here >

If it turns out it is in template1, you can fix this without deleting
any production data. Easiest is just login and delete stuff, though you
can recreate it using the steps in the docs.

Hope this helps,