Re: install postgres on usb drive???

From: John Purser <jmpurser(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Rodrigo Cortés" <roco3d(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: install postgres on usb drive???
Date: 2006-05-09 21:15:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 9 May 2006 17:06:53 -0400
"Rodrigo Cortés" <roco3d(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On 5/9/06, John Purser <jmpurser(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 May 2006 16:54:37 -0400
> > "Rodrigo Cortés" <roco3d(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > > It is possible to install postgres on usb driver to run it
> > > anywhere???
> > >

> Im trying to make a portable development environment for ruby on
> rails.
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: don't forget to increase
> your free space map settings

Well, I see no problem with INSTALLING postgreSQL on a USB drive. But
if you compiled it for Linux I don't think it would run on a windows
machine. In fact you might have a lot of trouble just getting to to
run on a different version of the same DISTRIBUTION of linux and that's
assuming you could maintain mount points and paths.

I think I'd go with a cheap laptop and/or Ruby installed on the USB
drive and my postgreSQL installation on the network.

John Purser

--
Q: How do you keep a moron in suspense?