changing my password under cygwin

From: "J(dot)" <sweepingoar(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: changing my password under cygwin
Date: 2006-05-03 09:01:12
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I've got postgresql installed with cygwin under xp. I need to alter my password but I can't find anything that works. Everything I've tried so far hasn't made the change and gives no feedback as to what might be wrong. Here is the command I use to run the psql tool:

psql -U username -d template1

Here are some things I've tried that didn't work:

alter user username with password 'userpass'

net user username userpass

This is the command I ran before I created my username, but now when I run it, it asks for a password which I either never knew or forgot:

psql -d template1

I could even delete the user and re-create it as long as I wouldn't lose access to the system. Thanks.