Re: PostgreSQL book market up 84%

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Guido Barosio <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Copeland <tom(at)infoether(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL book market up 84%
Date: 2006-04-21 21:02:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:53:39PM +0100, Guido Barosio wrote:
> quote: "A surprise to many may be the strong growth of PostgreSQL, up
> 84% over a year ago. We've also been hearing some signs of growth in
> the Postgres market from our "alpha geek" radar, with reasons given
> including better support for geo data, and better handling of very
> large data sets. New companies like Greenplum and EnterpriseDB have
> also brought a little focus to this market. We're updating our
> PostgreSQL book, and watching this market closely."
>
> pgsql 8.0 , windows port. That should explain a bit these figures, tho.

Actually, I think it's more than just that. For example, my
understanding is that even though it's database agnostic, a lot of Rails
users are going with PostgreSQL. I think a lot of the silliness in MySQL
is finally coming back to haunt them, as people are preferring a database
that "just does the right thing".