Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Relaxin <me(at)yourhouse(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-04-17 23:27:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Just to clarify, only one person hasn't realized it
> was a joke, and it
> usually is a nice opener for discussion. We all get
> a laugh out of it
> with other booth staff talking about PostgreSQL and
> me making ridiculous
> arguments on why they should use MySQL.

Bruce is and has been a big contributor to this
thread. i don't think he's particularly represented
himself too well in this thread... but i understand
why,

poster comes on using uninformed allegations to claim
postgresql is "slow."

this thread tone isn't all on Bruce, the OP basically
came here and instigated with baseless accusations.

i posted a link with a company using postgresql and he
objected using marketing "statistics" (lies, d*mned
lies and statistics). i posted another high profile
site using postgresql (sesamestreet.org) and not a
peep.

i'm beginning to think we may have been trolled.

what kind of response would one expect if one trolled
the mysql novice mailing list with "i heard mysql is a
"toy database" - is this true? i've heard it enough
that i think there must be fire amongst all the
smoke."

btw, i have heard that accusation much more than i've
heard pgsql is slow.

in any case, pgsql isn't slow. mysql isn't a toy
database (although it does have some gotchas that may
be deal killers for some minority of apps. pgsql may
have some deal killers for a minority of apps, too,
although this will be for fewer apps than mysql). my
intranet app is blazing fast and i use adodb which is
suppose to slow things down on the web server side by
about 30%. it still is blazing fast.

i don't have a lot of data, but i do have some complex
sql statements (20+ lines) and i have done zippo
tuning.

if the OP wants to use mysql, go for it and good luck.

if the OP wants to use pgsql, we'd (mostly others who
know more than i!) would be glad to help.

including Bruce. i think, anyway... ;-)