Renaming unnamed FK constraints

From: Vincent Frison <turman(at)ohmforce(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Renaming unnamed FK constraints
Date: 2006-04-17 00:34:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I've created my referential integrity with "REFERENCES TABLE..." directly
into "CREATE TABLE" statements. I don't have used "ALTER TABLE" with "ADD
CONSTRAINT constraint_name..." so I have only unnamed constraint for all my
FKs. Maybe I has been to much lazy..

This is very hapless since unnamed constraints are totally ignored from a lot
of SQL clients (PgAdmin3, TOra, SQuirreL...). The only solution seems to
rename all these constraints but I didn't find how to do it. I see somewhere
in this ML that I should drop all the triggers related to RI (and then
recreate all FKs with "ALTER TABLE" with named constraints). But it looks
like a plodding task isn't it?

Am I the only one who uses "REFERENCES TABLE..." directly into "CREATE TABLE"
statements? Should I go to evil for that? ;)

Thanks.

Vincent.