Re: pg_dump insert transactions

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump insert transactions
Date: 2006-04-15 18:13:54
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> > This patch makes pg_dump wrap insert dumps (-d, -D) in a transaction to
> > speed the restore process.
>
> What's the point of this, compared to Simon's recent patch adding an
> option to wrap the whole output in one big transaction? An intermediate
> level doesn't seem very interesting ... and lord knows pg_dump has an
> unreasonable number of options already.
>
> > It also adds an option to disable these
> > transactions for doing things like copying only newly inserted values from
> > one database to another (assuming old ones will fail on an unique
> > constraint).
>
> I would think that would be the main use-case for still using -d/-D at
> all (instead of COPY), so this seems of dubious usefulness, and
> certainly not what should be the default.

I have added a patch to document that pg_dump -d/-D throw an error on
invalid data, but allow other INSERTs to continue.

Also, we do have this TODO item:

o %Have pg_dump use multi-statement transactions for INSERT dumps

It always bothered me that INSERT did not have the same behavior as
non-INSERT, but if we document the difference, and people find it
useful, we should just keep it. TODO item removed.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 1.3 KB