Re: creating user

From: kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: creating user
Date: 2006-04-10 14:49:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Monday 10 April 2006 07:18, sandhya wrote:
> Hi...
> I want to know more about alter user /creating users.I am facing error if
> i give user with Login/Nologin..Why is it so? But it is working fine for
> Createdb/NoCreatedb.etc.
>
> sample=# ALTER user sandhya with LOGIN;
> ERROR: syntax error at or near "LOGIN" at character 25
> LINE 1: ALTER user sandhya with LOGIN;
>
> Please explain me about this/Suggest Some Manual where in i can find more
> about this.I have gone through postgres site.
>
> -Sandhya

My experience creating users has always been from the command line. Not sure
if this is what your asking about but just in case...

from the command line as postgres user (or another user with privelages to
create users):

Usage:
createuser [OPTION]... [USERNAME]

-a, --adduser user can add new users
-A, --no-adduser user cannot add new users
-d, --createdb user can create new databases
-D, --no-createdb user cannot create databases
-P, --pwprompt assign a password to new user
-E, --encrypted encrypt stored password
-N, --unencrypted do not encrypt stored password
-i, --sysid=SYSID select sysid for new user
-e, --echo show the commands being sent to the server
-q, --quiet don't write any messages
--help show this help, then exit
--version output version information, then exit

Connection options:
-h, --host=HOSTNAME database server host or socket directory
-p, --port=PORT database server port
-U, --username=USERNAME user name to connect as (not the one to create)
-W, --password prompt for password to connect

If one of -a, -A, -d, -D, and USERNAME is not specified, you will
be prompted interactively.