Re: Suggestion: Which Binary?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Which Binary?
Date: 2006-04-03 00:47:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Saturday 01 April 2006 10:47, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >>
> >>It seems rather pointless to document two instances of what is in fact
> >>a generic autoconf-script behavior ...
> >
> >The problem is that PostgreSQL is moving out of the realm of "hard-core
> >geeks only" and more into the mainstream. I'd bet a number of our users
> >have very little idea how autoconf and it's progeny work. It's probably
> >not unlikely that those folks would be able to figure out where their
> >perl was, but then not know how to tell it to configure.
>
> Most such users would use a binary distribution, though - either from
> the OS supplier or from our collection of binaries. If people are going
> to build postgres themselves from source then I *do* expect them to be
> moderately hard-core geeks.

ISTM that by any measure of the general population, David Wheeler is a
hard-core geek. :-) Actually by most measures of the "programming/oss
community" he is a hard core geek. But he still got tripped up by this. A
lot of people never get passed ./configure;make;make install even though they
do a lot of coding on oss projects. Why turn these people away?

--
Robert Treat