Re: psql patch: new host/port without leaving session

From: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttnet(dot)net(dot)tr>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql patch: new host/port without leaving session
Date: 2006-04-02 11:38:12
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Apr 01 07:07, Neil Conway wrote:
> One question about behavior: in the attached patch, omitting an argument
> to \connect or specifying "-" are treated equivalently -- the value for
> that parameter from the previous connection is used, otherwise NULL (for
> the libpq default). Is this what people want? (One possible complaint is
> that once you specify a parameter, you can't get back to the libpq
> default without specifying it explicitly.)

Won't it be better if we distinguish between "default" and "current"
value of a parameter with '-' (for the "current") and '+' (for the
"default") characters? For example:

\c + - hst
Connect to "default" database with "current" user on host hst.
(Omitted values can be treated as "current".)

\c + + hst -
Connect to "default" database with "default" user on host hst on
"current" port.

So we'll still have chance to get back to the libpq defaults.

Regards.