Re: Non-Unique intems

From: Srinivas Iyyer <srini_iyyer_bio(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Non-Unique intems
Date: 2006-03-28 22:12:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Sean and group,
thank you for your help. It worked.
However, I guess I stepped on a land mine of unique
and non-unique items.

Here is the problem:
(Example data) I have table A:

seq_id seq_name
123 ITAM3
234 ITAR

Table B:

spot_id seq_id image_name
849343 123 IMAGE: 12335
1348238 234 IMAGE: 12335

Table C:

exp_id | spot_id | spot_value
-------|-----------|-----------

Data to insert into Table C
IMAGE: 12335 98.03344

Here the log of query:

arraydb=# SELECT spotanno_id from spotanno
arraydb-# where spotanno_imageid = 'IMAGE:755402';
spotanno_id
-------------
849343
1348238
(2 rows)

arraydb=# select * from spotanno where spotanno_id =
849343;
spotanno_id | seq_id | spotanno_imageid
-------------+--------+------------------
849343 | 75343 | IMAGE:755402
(1 row)

arraydb=# select * from spotanno where spotanno_id =
1348238;
spotanno_id | seq_id | spotanno_imageid
-------------+--------+------------------
1348238 | 50475 | IMAGE:755402
(1 row)

arraydb=# select * from seqdump where seq_id = 50475;
seq_id | seq_acc | seq_name
--------+-----------+----------
50475 | NM_005501 | ITGA3
(1 row)

arraydb=# select * from seqdump where seq_id = 75343;
seq_id | seq_acc | seq_name
--------+-----------+----------
75343 | NM_002204 | ITGA3
(1 row)

An instance of row of the data file that to be
uploaded:

IMAGE:755402 0.299781845119261
12.3638881597060

The question:
when I have a non-unique item (viz. IMAGE:755402 )
what is the approach one should generally take.

Do you have any suggestions/solution. Please help me.

Thanks again.

-sri