Re: Bittorrent (Was: RE: [HACKERS] [SUGGESTION] CVSync )

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bittorrent (Was: RE: [HACKERS] [SUGGESTION] CVSync )
Date: 2006-03-27 19:13:17
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> It's automatically reproduced every 10 minutes. There are two
> possibilities:

'k, I'm seeing processes running since 2pm Sunday ... so "every 10
minutes", what exactly is happening?

# ps aux | grep btlaunchmany | grep Sun02 | wc -l
36

> 2) They are no longer reported in a way that Proc::ProcessTable can
> read. See the code at
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/portal/tools/bt/updatetor
> rents.pl?rev=1.8;cvsroot=pgweb for what we're trying to do. It is
> *possible* this is done because the processes are swapped out, though I
> *think* I tested the code and it handled that.

'k, first ... "processes are swapped out" ... unless something really odd
is happening, I've never heard of a process swapped out that is removed
from the process table ... at least not under FreeBSD ...

second ... have you manually verified that the process(es) *aren't*
running, or just relying on that script? As i stated above, I see 36
processes running for the past 24 hrs +, and a bunch for a shorter period

> Tar up /usr/local/www/bt.postgresql.org.
> There are no "bittorrent binaries", they are all python scripts. And
> they live under taht directory along with all our utility scripts.

Ah, okay ... I thought that we were using bittorrent as was installed ages
ago, not a self-maintained version ... but, if that is the case, then I'm
going to get rid of the template stuff over there sometime this week,
since that will be simple enough to do ... python 2.4.2 is auto-installed,
so no problems there ...

If you can be online tomorrow afternoon ... ? that way, when I bring it
back up, you are able to look over it for any issues ...

But, it doesn't look like bittorrent is reaping child processes:

# ps aux | grep "(python)" | wc -l
166

out of:

# ps aux | grep python | wc -l
201

> Where are you looking? That's before I started doing the web stuff, and
> I'm definitly the one who put in what's tyhere now.

/usr/local/bin ...

----