Re: table disappear from pg_class

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: marco <marco(dot)put(at)tiscali(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table disappear from pg_class
Date: 2006-03-19 02:14:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

marco wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a problem with a table which is disappeared from pg_class
> with all objects related (views, indexes and so on).
> pg_dump against this table does not work (I think because it is not
> present in pg_class).
>
> The strange behaviour is that I can select data from this table !!

This sounds very much like transaction Id wraparound, meaning you failed
to vacuum pg_class (and possibly other system catalogs as well) in a
timely fashion. Basically you need to return the transaction counter a
little bit, then vacuum and make sure all your data is still consistent.

This has been discussed before. See for example:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-05/msg00079.php