BUG #2333: dropdb ignores the database name argument

From: "kevin barnes" <vinbarnes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2333: dropdb ignores the database name argument
Date: 2006-03-17 20:53:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2333
Logged by: kevin barnes
Email address: vinbarnes(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1
Operating system: ubuntu 5.10
Details:

In the 8.1 release on Unbuntu 5.10 there is an error with the dropdb command
in /usr/bin. The error manifests itself by not respecting the DBNAME
argument. It assumes that you want to connect to a database named 'postgres'
and ignores whatever argument you give it. The error returned is:

dropdb: database removal failed: ERROR: database "postgres" does not exist

The error is actually correct, because I do not have a database named
postgres, but the command does not work correctly.

I downgraded through apt-get to 8.0 and dropdb works as expected. I believe
the version I was running was 8.1.3.