Re: Is there any way to stop triggers from cycling?

From: chester c young <chestercyoung(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there any way to stop triggers from cycling?
Date: 2006-03-08 23:04:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

trying to do this exlusively in triggers is a forray into folly.

take advantage of "instead of" or "do also" rules to create a compound
statement before your triggers do their work. (in terms of maintenance
and sanity, it's best if a trigger touches only its own record.)

as a handsweep example:

create view tree_v as select * from tree;
grant select, insert, update on tree_v to public;

create or replace rule 'tree_update' as
on update
to tree_v
do instead(
--
update tree set seq = seq+1
where old.pnt=new.pnt and old.seq<new.seq-1

note two conditions on the where clause: first is rule when to do it,
and second is what record to do it on.

you might not need the intermediate view, but I always use a view
between my app and the table - for reasons like this and many, many
others.