Re: install - OFF TOPIC

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com, crdandridge1(at)comcast(dot)net, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: install - OFF TOPIC
Date: 2006-03-02 00:34:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

> postgres.org -> Downloads -> Via FTP -> Binary
> _v8.1.3
> -> linux -> RPMs _Fedora or Redhat (not sure if
> eaither will work).
>
> Doesn't Suse Linux have a package manager? did you
> try searching your package manager's repository for
> postgres 8.1? i'd bet it is available.
>
> you come off as new to linux (i'm relatively new
> myself). do you know that you can install and
> configure a development box using winxp?
>
> that's what i use right now (and i have specific
> instructions to do so - let me know if you want
> them).
> i'm planning to move my dev activities to linux,
> however, if i had to learn all i have learned over
> the
> past year *and* been forced up the linux learning
> curve at the same time, life would've been even more
> challenging.
>
> best of luck.
>
> --- crdandridge1(at)comcast(dot)net wrote:

the address above isn't recognized by yahoo, so i
can't send you an email directly. therefore, i posted
this here - even though it is off topic:

check out linuxquestions.org. i'm dual booting my
home box with simply mepis / winxp. mepis is a debian
based distrobution.

i chose debian b/c of their excellent package manager
apt-get and its gui interface, synaptic.

suse is supposed ot br pretty decent, too, although,
i'm not familiar with it.

my apache / php / postgresql winxp install
instructions are here:

http://www.geocities.com/operationsengineer1/

i'm not sure that is what you want, though, if you are
wanting gnucash. you could install cygwin (linux
emulator running in windows), but that defeats the
purpose since you'd still have to learn linux.

have you tried downloading gnucash and installing it?

here is a google of "yast tutorial":

http://www.google.com/search?hs=3DG&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&q=yast+tutorial&btnG=Search

i wouldn't be surprised if it installed and configured
postgresql for you.

my first stop would be to head over to
linuxquestions.org -> forums -> linux distributions
(suse/novell) and ask how to install and configure
gnucash.

my bet is that there are folks that will help you get
this done. you could also google "gnucash install
suse" and you might get cookbook install instructions.

best of luck.