Re: PostgreSQL ad images

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL ad images
Date: 2006-02-17 15:50:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2006 16:23 schrieb Robert Treat:
> The issue is that we do not own the copyright on the elephant photo image
> we use on the main website. We have a license to use it for the website,
> and generally we could probably reuse it in an ad banner, but we can't
> release it under a creative commons license (like our other graphics)

On the matter of licenses:

The web site of the logo-collecting project claims both that logos are under
the BSD license and the Create Commons license. This should be cleared up.
"Newer items" is not clear enough. None of the downloads I tried actually
mentioned a specific license.

Then, Create Commons is not a license but a set of licenses. You need to be
clear which one you want.

I would, however, strongly advise against the Create Commons licenses. First
of all, it creates weird problems if someone wants to include the graphics in
a program or documentation licenses under a BSD or (L)GPL license. And
second, even if you look past that, neither the Open Source Initiative nor
the Debian Free Software Guidelines seem to think that Create Commons
licenses are acceptable open source licenses, so programs creates using those
graphics will have serious problems.

Is there a reason why the BSD license cannot continue to be used?

--
Peter Eisentraut