Re: logging settings

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mott Leroy <mott(at)acadaca(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logging settings
Date: 2006-02-05 22:51:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:56:17PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > inetd, Apache, squid, exim, postfix, a famous database starting with
> > m...
>
> cron, syslog, ntp, ssh

All of those work either by re-execing themselves, if they implement a
reload at all. Except mysql which only appears to allow reloading
"grant tables". I'm a bit surprised about that, the docs clearly talk
about reloading grant tables, they don't say anything about reloading
the configuration. Anyone know enough about mysql to set the record
straight here? Searching the docs didn't bring me any joy.

How about oracle and such?

Anyway, the behviour I think people are looking for is that when you
comment out a line, it resets the value back to some default, which
they'll find in the documentation I presume. Spit out a warning for
things that can't be changed (this appears to be done).

Have a nice day,