Re: libpq questions

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: James Harper <james(dot)harper(at)bendigoit(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq questions
Date: 2006-02-01 02:44:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 09:47:12AM +1100, James Harper wrote:
> > Be careful what you infer from such a scan: not finding any NULLs
> > doesn't necessarily mean a column isn't nullable, it just means the
> > result set didn't contain any NULLs.
>
> I understand that limitation, but haven't figured out if it matters in
> my situation. The only time it might is if the client wants to infer a
> schema as a result of a query, eg 'SELECT * FROM TableX WHERE 0 = 1'.

Even if such a query did return a "nullable" flag, plenty of other
metadata would be absent that might be just as interesting from a
schema-viewing standpoint (CHECK, PRIMARY KEY, etc.). A better way
to view the schema is to query the system catalogs or the Information
Schema.

> In the above example, does the database engine assign internally a
> 'nullability' flag? I guess it must do... because how would the
> following be evaluated:
>
> SELECT f1 + f2 AS f INTO TableY FROM TableX WHERE f1 < 30
>
> Would the column f in the created table be nullable or not?
>
> I guess I need to do some testing unless you know off the top of your
> head?

I'm not familiar enough with PostgreSQL internals to comment on
what's happening underneath, but I could tell you from experience
what the above query would do. But with a quick test you could
figure it out for yourself :-)

> Hmmm... so a select statement with result set of a million rows is going
> to stall for a while before the results are usefully available to the
> client, and is then going to use a significant amount of memory on the
> client...

Correct.

> Is this a limitation of libpq or of the underlying database engine?

The "Incremental results from libpq" thread from a few months ago
might answer your questions:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2005-11/msg00010.php

> Are there any alternative (but native - eg not ODBC) interfaces to
> postgresql?

What problem do you want the alternative to solve? If it's just
the libpq-fetches-all-rows problem then you could use a cursor.

--
Michael Fuhr