pgstattuple output?

From: Michael Crozier <crozierm(at)conducivetech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgstattuple output?
Date: 2006-01-25 23:40:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have an aging 7.3 database on Solaris 9/Sparc. We are on the verge of
upgrading Postgresql, but we first need to reclaim some disk space. I was
looking for tables that may have become fragmented when I saw this
pgstattuple output that confused me:

table_len 21773516800
tuple_count 69244287
tuple_len 13058755529
tuple_percent 59.98
dead_tuple_count 0
dead_tuple_len 0
dead_tuple_percent 0
free_space 8013437220
free_percent 36.8

Why is there so much free space with no dead tuples? This table has likely
had serveral columns added over time, is that part of the problem? Indexes?

Thanks,

Michael