Re: improper estimates even with high statistic values

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: improper estimates even with high statistic values
Date: 2006-01-18 21:11:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Magnus reported a similar problem with path names. I looked at his
statistics and found that even at 100 buckets, his LIKE 'f:/.../%" query
would never span more than one bucket, and because all the path names
were unique, there were no most common values.

In the case where the LIKE hits only one bucket, and there are no most
common values, how is the optimzier supposed to estimate the number of
rows, especially for cases where the values in the buckets are unevenly
distributed.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us