Re: Updates via ODBC commands

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: lothar(dot)behrens(at)lollisoft(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updates via ODBC commands
Date: 2006-01-14 13:53:23
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> I have found the same problem - or even missing feature in the new driver.
> But why the developers of the driver are dropping working features ?

They don't want. But there is a lot of reasons leads to the current
state. Hiroshi left the project at first. No one else understand the
ODBC driver code. The updateable cursor is the most blind part
without comments (or so few comments that we don't understand it).

Old driver uses socket and the new one uses libpq library to communicate
with backend. There is a lot of problems with the code and the result
was that we lost some fetures (as keyset cursor, updateable cursor and
maybe some others). We're working on the psqlODBC driver.
I don't see you help us. You are only the judge (it's the easiest role,
isn't it?).

> Its a bad idea to tell the user to use an old version,
> because my application only works with that.

Do you have better idea? Then welcome and say it to us. But please be
constructive. I'm working on the project for two months and I see no
other helper instead Dave and Anoop. I see few other helper for long
time in pgsql-odbc mailing list.

> I just have done a look at the website and did not see any comments
> about that.

This is true. Are you volunteer to maintain the web pages? We don't
have time for it. I can't follow bug fixing. So web pages isn't in
my focus.

> If this is really missing, all users relying on updateable
> cursors, are irritated.

I'm irritated from you. May I stop developing the psqlODBC project?
On the other side feel free to repair updateable cursors. What does
defends you?

> I think this is an important information for users. More, I may be
> informed about, that the old driver is in a frozen state - so there
< are no more bugfixes for it - no more support for that version ?

I hope Dave will respond to this two sentences in few days.

> Also I identified little problems - or differences in using 8.x
> version with the cursor library. I must retry that to report it.

No you don't must. Feel free to fix it ant send us the patch which
solve the problem.

I see no bug report from you. You maybe report it a long time ago.
Feel free to report it again if noone work on it.

Regards,

Luf