Re: Best way to manage users

From: "Kevin Crenshaw" <kcrenshaw(at)viscient(dot)com>
To: "'Roland Giesler'" <roland(at)giesler(dot)za(dot)net>, <brew(at)theMode(dot)com>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best way to manage users
Date: 2006-01-04 19:40:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Roland,

I wanted to reply to your post separately. I toyed with using pg_user to
store user information, but it did not work. I tried to use pg_user to
store user acct info and then use a 'user_detail' table to store additional
details but I got an error stating that pg_user is not a table (this
occurred when I tried to use the 'usesysid' column as a foreign key in my
user_detail table).

I think that the best solution - given the discussion thus far - is to have
a separate pg user that the web app will use to access the database, and
create a 'users' table in the db to store the web app usernames and
passwords etc...

Hth,

kevin