Re: to_char and i18n

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: to_char and i18n
Date: 2005-12-22 13:59:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

--- Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz> escreveu:

I have a patch like this. But this was for 7.4.x. I have to take a look
at it.

> That's important point. How resolve this problem Oracle? Maybe we can
> say (in docs) that with non-English locales it works with days/months
> names as in FM (fill) mode.

Yeah. We could make the new mode (TM?) ignores the FX mode and write a
note in docs.

> I think that for backward compatibility the locale sensitive
> to_char()
> should be implemented as separate call "to_char(datetime, format,
> locale)" or we should add new modifiers to the current to_char,
> something like "to_char(datetime, "LCMonth") or both.

I vote for another modifier (TM?). That's more flexible than another
function overload because to_char() implements modifiers yet.

> I don't have any time to work on to_char(), I can help to review
> patches
> only.

OK. I'll send a revised patch ASAP.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira