Re: Speed of different procedural language

From: "Steinar H(dot) Gunderson" <sgunderson(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Speed of different procedural language
Date: 2005-12-21 11:06:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 01:10:21AM -0000, Ben Trewern wrote:
> I know I should be writing these in C but that's a bit beyond me. I was
> going to try PL/Python or PL/Perl or even PL/Ruby. Has anyone any idea
> which language is fastest, or is the data access going to swamp the overhead
> of small functions?

I'm not sure if it's what you ask for, but there _is_ a clear difference
between the procedural languages -- I've had a 10x speed increase from
rewriting PL/PgSQL stuff into PL/Perl, for instance. I'm not sure which ones
would be faster, though -- I believe Ruby is slower than Perl or Python
generally, but I don't know how it all works out in a PL/* setting.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/