Re: How to Force Transactions to Process Serially on A Table

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to Force Transactions to Process Serially on A Table
Date: 2005-12-19 14:28:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 08:46:39AM -0500, Lane Van Ingen wrote:
> Thanks, that helped.
>
> Please answer 2 other related questions, if you would:
> (1) What must I do to 'Be prepared for serialization failures' (how to
> detect, how to handle)?
> Do you have a sample?

You'll get an error. You should read this section of the docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/transaction-iso.html#XACT-SERIALIZABLE

> (2) Also, I am assuming that the effect of all of this is to just force
> transactions to wait in line
> to be processed serially, and that it only lasts as long as the pl/pgsql
> transaction block or
> the next COMMIT.

No. The effect is to _emulate_ the case where the set transaction is
processed serially. Importantly, on a high-concurrency database, you
tend to get serialization failures. Moreover, it is not true
mathematical serialization. See section 12.2.2.1 for details in case
you need such a feature, in which case you're back to explicit
locking.

When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do sir?
--attr. John Maynard Keynes