Re: Backing up views, functions

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Benjamin Arai <barai(at)cs(dot)ucr(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backing up views, functions
Date: 2005-12-08 07:55:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:53:37PM -0800, Benjamin Arai wrote:
> I have a database of several million records and we are currently
> developing pl functions and views. How do you dump only the code for
> views and functions?

pg_dump doesn't allow you to be that selective, but you could use
the --schema-only option to dump everything except the data. If
you use one of the non-text dump formats then you could selectively
restore objects with pg_restore. See the pg_restore documentation
for the -l/--list and -L/--use-list options and the example near the
bottom of the page.

Some people maintain the code for functions and views outside the
database, perhaps under a version control system, and then reload
it when they make changes.

--
Michael Fuhr