Re: Launching PostgreSQL KB Project Mark 2

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Launching PostgreSQL KB Project Mark 2
Date: 2005-12-08 01:37:59
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> We're not against it. I think the irkness (sp? :-) ) comes from the fact
>> that the ongoing project (Gevik had been regularly demo'ing his
>> progress) was essentially ripped out from here without our knowledge and
>> reformed on a pgFoundry site,
>
> So our whole gripe is that Gevik, who is the author of the project in the
> first place decided he wanted to
> host the project on another community server during development?
>
> Interesting...

Actually, the way I've read the 'irkness' is that the -www list gets the
feel that they have been drop'd in favor of another project that, for all
intents and purposes has to date alientated -www and the previous work
done towards what they felt was a similar goal ...

The feel was that it had gone from a "community project" to a "corporate
project", which is definitely an easy perception to arrive at based on how
it was first pitched ... it has definitely evolved from that, but where we
are no is definitely not how the ball got started on this one ...

The other thing that has 'irked' those on -www was that the discussion has
moved over to a very specific mailing list for a very specific 'CMS
solution', while Josh has already stated that there has been no decision
yet made on how the framework will come above ...

IMHO ... the big mistake was not creating a 'pgdn' project on pgfoundry,
instead of piggy backing on the kennigres one like is being done ... piggy
back like that gives the impression that a decision has been made to use
that project ...

----