Re: fk problems with 0..n relations

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fk problems with 0..n relations
Date: 2005-12-06 01:13:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Luis Silva <lfs12(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I there, i'm having a problem. i have a table(1)
> that is connected with two multiple table (2 and 3).
> the problem is that the table 1 might have one of
> the tables (2 or 3, or both). how can i make this
> relationship in sql. Resuming, table 1 as a 0..n
> relation with table 2 and 3. thanks in advance.

Louis, i'm not sure i understand your question fully.
it would help if you post sample data (even if made
up).

in any case, someone mentioned that you could link
table 1 as follows:

table_1:
news_id
news

table_2:
image_id
image
fk_news_id

table_3
comment_id
comment
fk_news_id

if table 2 is linked to table 1, drop in news_id into
table_2.fk_news_id.

if table 3 is linked to table 1, drop in news_id into
table_3.fk_news_id.

drop in both if it is linked to both.

does this answer your question?

Just $16.99/mo. or less.