Re: SQL Statement Help Needed

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsqlnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL Statement Help Needed
Date: 2005-12-06 00:20:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

to the OP (i couldn't find it, so i'm replying to this
note),

have you thought about normalizing your data structure
a bit further?

your table structure currently appears to be:

table_employees
employee_id
employee_name
home_phone
work_phone
cell_phone
pager
fax
etc...

you could set it up as follows...

table_employees
employee_id
employee_name

table_phone_number
phone_number_id
phone_number
type_id

table_type_phone_number (note: type_name is where
"home", "work", "fax", etc. gets entered)
type_id
type_name

table_link_employee_phone_number
employee_id
phone_number_id

the reason for doing this is that you eliminate
database dead space (people that don't have faxes
won't store a null in the db (i think it is null) and
the db won't have to manage the null values).

best of luck.