Re: List of prominent users

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: List of prominent users
Date: 2005-12-05 01:39:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 11:33:01PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Saturday 03 December 2005 18:04, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Over the last couple of weeks I was asked repeatedly for a list of
> > prominent users of PostgreSQL. I don't think we have that. I know all
> > of us can throw some names around, but no one has collected these. I'm
> > thinking something like this: http://www.mysql.com/customers/.
> >
> > I know that sort of list will be far less expressive than the case
> > studies or an actual analysis of a user's needs, but it's the sort of
> > thing people ask for at expositions and the like.
> >
> I have a couple of these lists laying around that I've wanted to put up. I
> actually did start to compile them for the web. This certainly isnt official
> or anything but if you need some inspiration...
> http://xzilla.postgresql.org/about/users
>
> One issue we had never settled on was just what constitutes someone using
> PostgreSQL? For my$ql it's easy; are they sending my$ql a check? For us
> it's a little more nebulous. For example, I know that MTV uses PostgreSQL,
> but I don't think MTV knows that, so I wouldn't include them. Or taking it a
> step further, every company that uses a powerbook uses postgresql (in theory)
> but I wouldn't base things on that either.

It is for this reason and the comments afterward that I had suggested a
contact name responsible for avowing that the company is using postgresql.
Preferably a person at that company.

We also can have a verified list as well as a rumored list (waiting for verf).

This discussion about who is a user and who is not and who will say are
goes on and on each time the issue is brought up. That is why the old user list
is old and unreliable and missing in action. Put a stake in the ground
and lets get on with it. I've suggested criteria for accountability. Use that
or some other better criteria, but just do it.

--elein