Re: pg_restore [archiver] file offset in dump file is too

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore [archiver] file offset in dump file is too
Date: 2005-12-04 21:14:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >> While Win32 supports 64-bit files, the MinGW API does not,
> >> meaning we have to build an fseeko replacement on top of the
> >> Win32 API, and we have to make sure MinGW handles it.
> >>

> >Wouldn't it be better to lobby the MinGW folk to fix their problem?
> >Or even help them with it? I can't see the rationale for implementing
> >a workaround that helps only us.
> >

> There is a library available from the gnuwin32 project that advertises
> fseeko and fseeko64. So we probably have a choice of requiring this
> library or doing it ourselves.
>
> see http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libgw32c.htm

OK, updated:

o Add long file support for binary pg_dump output

While Win32 supports 64-bit files, the MinGW API does not,
meaning we have to build an fseeko replacement on top of the
Win32 API, and we have to make sure MinGW handles it. Another
option is to wait for the MinGW project to fix it, or use the
code from the LibGW32C project as a guide.

My bet is that the license for LibGW32C might require us to use it as a
guide rather than the code itself.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us