Re: does indexes need statistics?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: does indexes need statistics?
Date: 2005-11-25 12:37:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 07:43:28PM +0100, Mauricio Fernandez A. wrote:
> Is it necesary the statistics be enabled when I create indexes or to
> use them?

Uh, yes, but you can't turn them off. I suspect I don't understand
your question. Do you mean the "runtime statistics" section of the
configuration file? If that's what you mean, then no. Those aren't
the same thing as the statistical data used by the planner; the
latter is updated when you run "analyse".

"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
--H.W. Fowler