Re: Print advertising

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: nhrcommu(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Print advertising
Date: 2005-11-20 23:36:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I'm taking this back on-list because I think it's a critical discussion.
>
>> I have a fuzzy feeling that there are a few people
>> in the world that do not sit around reading
>> Information Week as part of their daily routine.  A
>> CEO of a 20 person company in Oneonta, NY may not
>> even know that there IS such a thing as PG..... but
>> he sure knows that he has needs and 1 of them is
>> saving money.  He probably DOES read the local
>> paper... because he may be in it.  And if he reads
>> some plain talk about PG, he may grab his "computer
>> guy" by the stacking swivel and say... "Why wasn't I
>> told about this?"
>
> I think you're absolutely right. However, I'm personally at a loss on how to
> reach these people without spending a fortune on print advertising. The
> problem is that small businesses simply don't read any national publications
> consistently. There are some key ones we could take on -- ComputerWorld,
> Philanthropy Journal -- but on the whole it would be hit-or-miss. And for
> small local papers, there are probably 25,000 of them in the US.

What is the largest newspaper in the US? In Canada, we hae two Nationals,
but I imagine in the US you have more? How much are various advertisement
levels in their Business Sections? Half a page ad would be seen by a
helluva lot of businessman, at most levels, I would guess ... but would be
fairly expensive too ...

----