Re: Help speeding up delete

From: "Steinar H(dot) Gunderson" <sgunderson(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help speeding up delete
Date: 2005-11-17 17:25:11
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-www

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 11:07:42PM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>> Isn't your distribution supposed to do this for you? Mine does these
>> days...
> A distribution that tries to automatically do a major postgresql update
> is doomed to fail - spectacularly...

Automatically? Well, you can install the two versions side-by-side, and do
pg_upgradecluster, which ports your configuration to the new version and does
a pg_dump between the two versions; exactly what a system administrator would
do. Of course, stuff _can_ fail, but it works for the simple cases, and a
great deal of the not-so-simple cases. I did this for our cluster the other
day (130 wildly different databases, from 7.4 to 8.1) and it worked
flawlessly.

I do not really see why all the distributions could do something like this,
instead of mucking around with special statically compiled pg_dumps and the
like...

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/