Re: MERGE vs REPLACE

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: MERGE vs REPLACE
Date: 2005-11-16 00:12:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jaime,
>
> > why? seems that REPLACE only work if there are at least one row
> > matching...
>
> Scenario:
>
> session1: REPLACE .... 1
> session2: REPLACE ..... 1
> session1: check to see that "1" exists .... no
> session2: check to see that "1" exists .... no
> session1: INSERT 1
> session2: INSERT 1 .... ERROR
>
> Get the picture? The only way to avoid a race condition is to be able to
> do "predicate locking", that is to lock the table against any data write
> matching that predicate.

Isn't the standard practice to do the INSERT, and if that fails, do
the UPDATE? In fact, if someone is already doing a INSERT inside a
transaction, it will wait for the transaction to complete so you can
then do the UPDATE, or complete the INSERT if the transaction aborted.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us