Re: slru.c race condition (was Re: TRAP: FailedAssertion("!((itemid)->lp_flags

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slru.c race condition (was Re: TRAP: FailedAssertion("!((itemid)->lp_flags
Date: 2005-11-02 22:51:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 02:04:09PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> writes:
> > BTW, that's a reversal from what I was originally arguing for, which was
> > due to the performance penalty associated with --enable-cassert. My
> > client is now running with Tom's suggestion of commenting out
> > CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY and MEMORY_CONTEXT_CHECKING and performance is
> > good. It appears to be as good as it was with asserts disabled.
>
> Interesting. I've always wondered whether the "debug_assertions" GUC
> variable is worth the electrons it's printed on. If you are running
> with asserts active, that variable actually slows things down, by
> requiring an additional bool test for every Assert. I suppose the
> motivation was to allow the same compiled executable to be used for both
> assert-enabled and assert-disabled runs, but how many people really need
> that capability?

Not sure how that relates to CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY and
MEMORY_CONTEXT_CHECKING :P, but I agree that it doesn't make sense to
have a GUC, at least not if asserts default to being compiled out.

Hrm... does debug_assertions end up changing assert_enabled?

BTW, is MEMORY_CONTEXT_CHECKING that expensive? It seems like it
shouldn't be, but I'm only guessing at what exactly it does...