Re: Ideas for easier debugging of backend problems

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ideas for easier debugging of backend problems
Date: 2005-11-01 11:33:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> 3. Add either a GUC or a command line switch or PGOPTION switch to
> automatically invoke and attach gdb on certain types of error.
> Obviously you can only do this where stdin, stdout and stderr have
> not been redirected.

Samba has a configuration parameter that allows you to set an arbitrary
command as a "panic action" script. This can then be used to gather
debugging information or prepare a bug report (see other thread). This
also has the added flexibility that binary packagers can add extra
information specific to their environment. It may be worthwhile to
research whether we could do something similar.

--
Peter Eisentraut