Re: Starting PostgreSQL 8.0.4 with more memory [FreeBSD

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Vlad <marchenko(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting PostgreSQL 8.0.4 with more memory [FreeBSD
Date: 2005-10-31 15:11:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:54:39AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Note however that it's reasonable to think that 8.1 may do better than
> 8.0 did at performing well with large values of shared_buffers,
> primarily because we got rid of the StrategyDirtyBufferList overhead:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-10/msg00112.php
>
> It'd be interesting to repeat the above-mentioned tests with 8.1.

Well, OSDL has run tests on PostgreSQL as recently as 20050908 but the
host with the results isn't responding to me, so no idea what the tests
were. Also, they use various tests involving PostgreSQL to test the
scalability of the Linux kernel, so you can see how postgres runs with
various different kernel patches.

http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/kernel_testing/stp/search.lnk/search_test_requests

Enter "postgresql" in the software field, or select one of the pgsql
tests. Maybe someone else will have more luck than me getting the
results...

Have a nice day,