Re: New timezone data

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New timezone data
Date: 2005-10-25 00:53:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 07:02:07PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> There's nothing magical about the files, is there? A user should be able
> to plug in a zic-compiled zone file from just about anywhere if they
> really need it, without having to update postgres, or I have badly
> misunderstood how we handle things.

Sure users can do that if they need to; I was just wondering about
the policy for keeping the source code current. I do see an item
in src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES suggesting that releases should have
the latest timezone data:

* Update timezone data to match latest zic database (see src/timezone/README)

So in case anybody was going to check on that prior to the upcoming
8.1 release candidate, there is new timezone data available (2005n
vs. the current 2005m) but it appears to have only minor changes
for Kyrgyzstan and Uruguay. If anybody wants, I'll submit a patch.

--
Michael Fuhr