Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Date: 2005-10-16 17:37:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Note to implementor: In 'SELECT 1 as "Title"', the quoted string
> > should not be lowercased, even if you are lowercasing everything
> > else...
>
> You don't get to have that, I think, because the lexer is not context
> aware. It's not clear to me why it's a good idea anyway.

This is used to create pretty column headers in table output. We'd
surely get criticism if this no longer worked.

I guess you could get around that if you leave the case-folding in the
lexer as is but instead make the nameeq function case insensitive.
This is sort of the way the Windows file system works (I think). (And
we know that *never* leads to problems... :-/)

--
Peter Eisentraut