Re: \d on database with a lot of tables is slow

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \d on database with a lot of tables is slow
Date: 2005-09-30 22:08:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 11:35:31AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> writes:
> > Sorry, remembered it wrong. It's 'Did not find any relation named',
> > which appears to be in bin/psql/describe.c. It does occur when trying to
> > do a \d on a specific table.
>
> Hmm, no immediate ideas. You haven't provided a lot of context about
> this --- when it happens, is it repeatable? Are they giving an exact
> table name or a pattern to \d? Is a schema name included in what they
> give to \d? What PG version are they running exactly?

Sorry, had the error message wrong:

ERROR: cache lookup failed for relation 1906465919

It is on an exact table name. When we retry the describe on a failure,
sometimes it works and sometimes it fails again. When it fails again
the relation number is different. Also, \d schema.table always returns
quickly and never errors. \d table is slow and produces the error fairly
often.

They're using 8.0.x; I'm pretty certain it's 8.0.3.