Re: 2 forks for md5?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2 forks for md5?
Date: 2005-09-24 23:07:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >Tom Lane wrote:
> >

> >>I'm coming to agree with Andrew that a documentation patch might be the
> >>best answer. But where to put it ... under the description of the
> >>log_connections GUC var?
> >>

> >I am thinking we should wait for someone else to notice the double log
> >entries before mentioning it in the docs.
> >

> If I had a more Machiavellian bent I would make sure that happened ;-)
>
> How about this note under log_connections?:
>
> "Some clients (notably psql) sometimes try to connect without a password
> before trying with a password. This behaviour will generate two log
> lines if log_connections is turned on, even though to the user it
> appears that only one connection has occurred."

OK, you wore me down. :-)

New text:

This outputs a line to the server log detailing each successful
connection. This is off by default, although it is probably very
useful. Some client programs, like <application>psql</>,
attempt to connect twice while determining if a password is required,
so duplicate <literal>connection received</> messasges are not a sign
of problem. This option can only be set at server start or in the
<filename>postgresql.conf</filename> configuration file.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us