Re: Why does VACUUM FULL bother locking pages?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why does VACUUM FULL bother locking pages?
Date: 2005-09-16 21:07:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 04:41:39PM -0400, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> Was it relcache related?

I don't see how -- any user of a relcache entry needs to heap_open() or
relation_open() the table and acquire an appropiate lock. Any such call
would block because of the lock that VACUUM FULL acquires on the relation.

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
"Now I have my system running, not a byte was off the shelf;