Re: Database Migration

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Migration
Date: 2005-09-13 15:32:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> wrote:

> operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com writes:
> > i'm facing a db / data migration issue. i have 3
> dbs.
> >
> > my dev box is pgsql 7.4.6 (laptop, winxp / cygwin)
> > my current production box is 7.3.x (webhost,
> linux)
> > my new production box is 8.03 (in-house, linux)
> >
> > my dev db is waaaay ahead of my production db b/c
> > had to code a lot of pages to include some
> > functionality.
> >
> > i'm thinking about doing this two ways.
> >
> > 1. dump my table structures from my dev box and
> then
> > fill it with data from the 7.3.x production db and
> > hope there are are no glitches.
> > 2. build the pgsql 8.03 from scratch and then fill
> it
> > with data from the 7.3.x production db and hope
> there
> > are are no glitches.
> >
> > do these options sound reasonable? will 7.4.6
> data
> > types conflict with 8.03 data types?
>
> In our environments, we get *real* uncomfortable
> about there being any
> "major version" differences between development and
> production; you
> can't warrant that things will work the same unless
> you are using the
> same versions everywhere.
>
> The fact that you have massively different platforms
> is also a matter
> for *some* concern.
>
> The only reasonable approach, to my mind, is to
> *fix* your development
> environment, which is desperately broken since it
> isn't running the
> same version of *anything* as you are running in
> *any* of your
> would-be production environments.

agreed. as soon as i get the 8.03 setup, i'm going to
uninstall the 7.4.x version from my dev box and
upgrade it to 8.03.

any db work on my 7.3.x webhost will be pretty minimal
from that time forward. if i do anything serious, i
will most likely change webhosts to one that keeps up
to date with pgsql.

> ... Those first four steps are pretty important
> prerequisites to the
> conversion...

Chris, i may well end up following your very thorough
process... but i'm going to try creating the new prod
cb structure using my current dev table structure and
then i'm going to try and pull data from the old prod
box and try and restore it to the new db.

i'm crossing my fingers... if that doesn't work, i'll
follow your cookbook instructions. fingers still
crossed. ;-)