Re: initdb profiles

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: initdb profiles
Date: 2005-09-10 12:30:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 08 September 2005 13:16, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Initdb already
> has adaptive rules - look at the source - and Tom suggests adding
> another set for max_fsm_pages. All I'm doing is to suggest that we need
> to tweak those.

I'm curious how this could work... istm its fairly hard to predict a
reasonable value for max_fsm_pages before you ever create a single database
in your cluster... I could perhaps see this as becoming self tuning with an
integrated autovacuum, where autovacuum stores the values needed for this and
max_fsm_relations so that upon any restart these values get automatically
updated to a reasonable number. Even more ideal would be to not have them
require restart at all, but thats yet another level of magic...

--
Robert Treat