Re: pg_config/share_dir

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config/share_dir
Date: 2005-09-08 01:29:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm wondering why localedir is even treated as an independently
> settable directory in the first place. Why doesn't the code just use
> PGSHAREDIR and plaster on a hardwired "/locale"?

You can't really set localedir independently; it's hardwired to
$prefix/share/locale (see config/program.m4 for details). The reason
that it's dealt with separately from $datadir ($prefix/share) is to
arrive at a conventional layout when prefix=/usr (or /usr/local etc.).
datadir would then be /usr/share/postgresql and localedir would
be /usr/share/locale. This is just the way most software arranges
these things. Earlier versions of gettext (or non-GNU versions of
gettext?) also had a hard-coded path where it looked for the locale
data, which sort of lead to the convention that the locale files have
to be in that particular directory.

> Certainly we make only minimal use of sysconfdir at present. But we
> have the infrastructure for it in configure, path.c, etc, and it
> seems to me that pg_config support should be considered part of that
> infrastructure. If it's not important enough to be in pg_config, why
> is it a separate option at all?

I'd say that the nonexposure of sysconfdir is an oversight.

--
Peter Eisentraut