Re: uuid type for postgres

From: nathan wagner <nw(at)hydaspes(dot)if(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: uuid type for postgres
Date: 2005-09-07 17:19:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 09:48:08AM -0700, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com wrote:

> That's good, it gives users options. And I can see why you don't want to
> re-create the functionality in PG code, it's probably pretty large.

It would also be something else that would have to be maintained and
debugged. Which i would be starting from scratch. The OSSP
UUID library is at version 1.3. From this I infer that he has spent
some time maintaining and debugging it. The less duplication of
code and effort the better.

There may be a problem with using the library as a core type though,
due to windows portability concerns. That said, it would probably
be easier to port the underlying library than to start from scratch.

> Well, IMHO, if the unguessability of UUIDs is an important part of your spec,
> you have some design problems.

I was thinking of cryptographic applications. Then, to use an
example from another domain, initial TCP sequence numbers should
be random (i.e. unguessable). A problem with TCP perhaps. It's
been a while since i've read over my copy of _Applied Cryptography_,
but I seem to recall that unguessable numbers were sometimes useful.

--
Nathan Wagner