Re: PL/pgSQL: EXCEPTION NOSAVEPOINT

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Matt Miller <mattm(at)epx(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL: EXCEPTION NOSAVEPOINT
Date: 2005-09-02 14:54:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 02:34:50PM +0000, Matt Miller wrote:
> > > Rewriting all my Oracle code function-by-function could be painful
> > > I'm still trying to hold on to my fantasy that I can hack Postgres (and
> > > contrib/ora2pg) into submission.
> >
> > Why don't you just use EnterpriseDB?
>
> I looked at EnterpriseDB a few months ago. The installation errored.
> It left stuff in /var/opt, which I consider non-standard for a Red Hat
> machine. The whole product just didn't feel clean to me. I admit
> that's a pretty limited and subjective evaluation, especially for a beta
> product, but I was in the mode of broadly evaluating alternatives, so I
> moved on. Maybe I need to look at it again.

Well, the EnterpriseDB has much more support for Oracle syntax in
general, and PL/SQL in particular. If you didn't get past the
installation step, certainly you didn't have a feel of how the real
features work. May I suggest you at least get it working and try to
port your functions to it?

(Disclaimer: while I work for EDB, I haven't had any relationship to the
Oracle-PL/SQL layer yet, nor have I been involved at all in their
commercial offering.)

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
"Having your biases confirmed independently is how scientific progress is