Version number in psql banner

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Version number in psql banner
Date: 2005-09-01 15:30:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

A release or two ago we added the version number to the psql welcome banner.
I noticed that quite a few people interpret that as the server version.
Somehow, the explicit display of the version numbers leads them to make
inferences that they would otherwise not bother about. Has anyone else
experienced that? I suppose there was a reason we added the version number
there, but I can't recall it. Could we make that more clear?

--
Peter Eisentraut